Sunday, August 18, 2013

I Believe, Therefore I Achieve

Fitness is, at least in part, a mental game. It takes a certain power of will to get up every day, lace up those shoes, and get moving. You have to first believe before you can achieve. This is the most important key that I have found to keep me moving through from day to day. If I want to be able to achieve the strength goals that I've set for myself, I have to believe that I can meet those goals. If I don't believe, why should I try?

This list is intended to serve as a reminder to myself of what I believe, so that I can come back every day and read this so that I will never forget that it's worth it to keep going. I've given up before, but I'm not going to this time! Here's why:


  • I believe that it requires consistency to build strength. Skipping one day might not kill me, but it can be a disaster to my motivation. Unless I'm so ill that I can't get out of bed, there is no excuse for me not to get up and get moving that day. This pertains to all life goals and no just to fitness. "Strength" comes in many forms and not all of those forms are physical.
  • I believe that it requires pain to produce strength. The pain I feel in my muscles means that the strength training exercise is building muscle that I will feel later in the form of increased strength. To (mis) quote Luke Bryan, "Pain is a good thing." (Please note that I'm not pushing myself to injury, just the usual muscle soreness that accompanies working out.)
  • I believe that sometimes "get up and go" requires a pair of sneakers. This might be a rather odd one for some people, but fitness buffs will know what I mean. Getting up and getting dressed, putting on a good pair of sneakers and clothing that you feel good in can make all the difference to motivating you to actually doing something. I don't start the day in my pajamas! I start it in full clothing!
  • I believe that tears are cleansing. It's okay to cry if crying means continuing on even when you're not sure that you want to. It's okay to cry if the pain is bad but you're willing to push through it. It's okay to cry tears of relief when you realize that you're shedding away the old lifestyle and reaching for something new. It's okay to cry. I do it sometimes. You should too.
  • I believe that the scale is my enemy. I'm not weighing myself. This is something that a lot of people in my life don't understand. "If you want to lose weight, why aren't you weighing yourself?" Because the weeks that you gain, or lose only a small amount of weight, are very discouraging for some people (myself included). Because I'm not doing this to lose weight and have a hot body. I'm doing it so that I can go for a run, hold a bow, go kayaking. I'm doing it for strength, not for weight-loss. Weight-loss is a side-effect. Strength is the goal.
  • I believe in tracking my days. It's not just about what I do, but how long I do it. Tracking allows me to keep up with a streak of fitness, doing exercises every day for the rest of my life. The particular exercise matters less than the fact that I got up and got moving (at least at this point) and I believe in giving myself a visual representation for how long I've continually worked at achieving strength and fitness!
  • I believe that baby steps still take me toward my goal. The size of the progress doesn't matter; it's that there is progress which is important. If I can increase my reps on a strength training exercise by two, or add another set; if I can walk another block before I get too tired to continue; if I can carry my daughter for a longer period of time before her weight is too much, these are all small steps to a much bigger and more important goal.
  • I believe in small goals. One of the reasons that I don't want to use the scale to measure my success is that huge goals (that 175 pounds I want to get rid of forever!) are enormous feats that are going to take incredible time to reach. Smaller goals are more reasonable, and my small goals include things like cutting gluten out of my diet or being able to talk to the park. These are easy. And if I can reach small goals, I can set larger ones as I achieve the smaller goals. That simple!
  • I believe I can achieve! Whatever I set my mind to, I can achieve, but I must first believe that it is possible. I know that all things are possible through Him who gives me strength, and when I don't have the strength to stand up on my own, I lean on God to get me through those times and to help me to stand up and do what needs to be done even when I don't feel like it. Every. Single. Day.
  • I believe I'm worth it. Yup. I am.
(Base Image is courtesy from Andrew Malone on Flickr.)

No comments:

Post a Comment